Skip to main content

Church Cheers

Admittedly, it has been tough to find the right church that works for our family. We have tried several in the Bismarck-Mandan area with each of them having their own pros and cons. And a pro for one person in our family can be a con for another. Take the praise and worship time, for instance. The louder and more exciting the better, for me anyways but not for Faith.

With her CP, Faith has something called a "startle reflex." It's something newborns have but they grow out of it. When a newborn baby is startled their whole body reacts with arms flailing and legs going because they can't control those movements yet. For Faith, she has never been able to control those movements. It used to be that when she startled many times in a short period she would get very upset and would start to cry.

Another issue she has is if she is somewhere loud and dark with the noise varying at different levels, she is very tense the whole time and her muscles just can't relax. Places like movie theaters are an example. And as we found out, charismatic church services are another example. One minute the pastor may be very quiet but then suddenly becomes very loud - this will cause Faith to startle. She'll be tense the whole time because she doesn't know when she will be surprised again.

Finding a church where Faith can relax and not be so tense has been a bit challenging, especially for me who really likes those very charismatic church services. Rob on the other hand can pretty much go to any church and be okay with it, as long as he is free to take part in communion and gets something out of the message.

At some churches we would try to sit in various spots - like the back row, sitting way back in the corner, sitting outside in the lobby area or sitting in the coffee shop. While sitting in these certain areas may have helped alleviate some of Faith's startling, it felt to us that we weren't really a part of the service or the fellowship.

After years of searching we have found a church for the three of us. Rob's friend from work invited us to their Saturday evening service at a church called Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church. The evening service is less traditional, the music more contemporary and Faith really seems to enjoy being there. We can sit way up front and not have to worry about Faith getting nervous or tense.

Another thing we discoverd is that some friends of ours from the CP support group go there as well. Faith really gets a kick out of their 21-year-old son, who is in a wheelchair too.  

This past Saturday was interesting and I sort of held my breath when the pastor announced what we were going to doing. He had a message on confession and forgiveness. He explained that there are four promises of forgiveness - for each promise, his wife had thought of a cheer for all of us to yell. One side of the room would yell the first line of the cheer and the other side would yell the second line. I did not know how Faith was going to react. Rob and I both looked at her and I quickly explained to her there was going to be a lot of yelling.

The pastor read the first promise of forgiveness: I promise I will think good thoughts about you and do good for you.

Then we yelled out the cheer: THINK GOOD THOUGHTS! DO GOOD THINGS!

Faith tensed up a little but she didn't startle. Instead, she began to laugh.

Promise: I promise I will not bring up this situation to use against you.

Cheer: DIGGING UP DIRT...IS NOT GOOD WORK!

Faith continues to laugh.

Promise: I promise I will not talk to others about what you did.

Cheer: G-O-S-S-I-P...GOSSIP IS MISERY!

More laughter.

Promise: I will be friends with you again.

Cheer: FRIENDS RESTORED...IN THE LORD!

After the last cheer, we had to try to get Faith to stop laughing and continue to listen to the pastor. After we visited for a little while, Faith said on the way home, "I had so much fun at church!"

It seems to me, we may have finally found a church home!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Used to Our New School Schedule

Today marks Faith's 8th day of school and we are all adjusting to a new schedule. Faith has made huge strides this past summer in sleeping better and having more energy so we decided to have her go to school from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. 5 days a week. This is a change as last year she did not go Tuesday and Thursday afternoons due to how tired and worn out she would get. Faith's first day of 4th grade School starts at 8:30 a.m. but we asked if it would be okay for us to get her there at 9:00 instead. This allows us to more time to get her first feeding into her before she even gets to school. Her aides noticed last year that when we brought her to school without any food in her tummy, she was pretty sluggish and tired upon arrival. Sometimes, after getting her to school she wouldn't start getting her feeding until after 9:00 a.m. which meant, that because she gets a feeding every 3 hours, her last feeding of the day didn't end until 10:00 p.m. Another advantage to

A Real Pain in the Arm

Last Wednesday I had my yearly doctor exam and when she said I should get my tetanus shot updated, I didn't think twice about it. The nurse said my arm would be sore for a couple of days, gave me a handout and stuck the needle in my arm. The next day my arm was sore and although I found it a little harder to pick up and carry Faith, I was glad the pain wasn't going to last long. Boy was I wrong! But not only was my arm sore, my whole body was. I felt achy and extremely tired. According to a medical site on the Internet, these were mild side effects of the Tetanus shot. If these were only mild side effects, I would really hate to have them at a moderate or severe level. On Friday, two days after getting the shot I felt so tired that I took a four hour nap after getting Faith off to school. Then on Saturday I took a three hour nap up until 7 o'clock but still felt tired and was able to go back to sleep around 10. On Sunday, finally the fatigue started wearing off and I didn

Goodbye to Our Special Tomato

Today we said goodbye to our Special Tomato adaptive car seat. And special it was. It helped Faith stay safe and secure in our Hyundai driving her back and forth to therapy appointments, shopping excursions and many other activities. It also helped us through our time of not being able to afford an accessible van. Like all adaptive equipment , the special car seat was expensive and although it is the law that a child is secured in a car seat while traveling in a vehicle, neither health insurance nor Medicaid would pay for it. Thankfully, we were able to receive funds from the fundraiser, the Great American Bike Race ( GABR ) which helps families pay for services and equipment that insurance doesn't cover for kids with cerebral palsy and related disabilities.  After doing research on the Internet and talking to Faith's physical and occupational therapists, we decided to go for the Special Tomato adaptive car seat. You would think something with that name would be r