Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Stinky Face


This morning, I had the privilege of going to school with Faith and reading a few stories to her class. One book I chose to read is called, "I Love You Stinky Face." (written by Lisa McCourt) This book is really a story about a mother's unconditional love for her child. The title of the book comes from the child asking the mother that if he was a smelly skunk and his name was Stinky Face would his mother still love him. She tells him she would put him in the bathtub but if he still smelled she would tell him, "I love you Stinky Face."

It's a cute story, but there is a story behind the story that I wanted to share with Faith's classroom.

After reading the book to them, I explained that a few years ago, one of Faith's friends and caretakers (Kimberly) took her to a place where they could make things out of clay. Faith decided she wanted to make a cup or a mug of some sort. She wanted it to be really big because she knew how much her mom and dad (especially her dad) loved coffee.

After Kimberly helped her mold the big mug, Faith decided she wanted to paint it pink and purple. So they painted it pink and they decided to write a message on the mug in purple. Kimberly asked Faith, "if you could tell your mom and dad anything you wanted to, what would you say?"

Faith responded, "I love you stinky face."

Kimberly wasn't too sure about writing this on the mug because essentially Faith was calling her parents stinky face.

Kimberly asked, "Are you sure you don't just want to write 'I love you?'"

Faith was very adamant and said it had to say, "I love you stinky face."

After I told this stoyr, Faith's teacher said, "That sounds just like Faith!"

Her class really seemed to like this story and laughed and laughed. They all especially enjoyed passing the mug around to look at it more closely. I told the children that this mug is one of the most precious gifts Faith has ever given us.

It was so much fun to share this book and this story with Faith's classroom. Later, I also read "Amelia Bedelia" which is Faith's favorite book. It was cute because Faith even filled in some of the lines. The kids in her class are so sweet and I am going to miss Faith being in kindergarten with these wonderful kids, wonderful teacher and wonderful teacher's aide.

No comments:

Post a Comment