Monday, May 24, 2010

A Milestone Reached

I've been wanting to get this post up since Friday night when Faith reached an exciting milestone. Unfortunately, however, Faith ended up getting sick. Besides being busy taking care of her, I have also been sleep deprived as neither of us has slept well all weekend. This morning I kept Faith home from school and we are both exhausted. I decided to try and post this anyway. So if it doesn't make sense, you'll know why!

Friday was a busy day for us. I went with Faith to school so that we could meet her new instructional aide who will be working with her during summer school. We showed her Faith's feeding pump and how she would be connecting and disconnecting Faith's feeding tube to her Mic-Key button. We also showed her how to lift Faith and get her in and out of her chair properly.

After being at the school for a couple of hours, I went home for lunch then went back to get her so that she could go bowling with all of the other kindergartners. Faith's teammates were very good about helping us get the ball and scooting the ramp to the lane for us. It was great and Faith had lots of fun, as did all of the other kids.

After getting home from bowling, Faith had her hour-long feeding and when her tummy was full, she proceeded to try and have a bowel movement. This caused her to gag and almost throw up so I rushed her into the bathroom and attached a tube with a syringe to her button and tried to get some of the food back out of her tummy. In doing so, I was hoping to prevent a throw up. This time, it didn't work. I threw a towel over her and she threw up. She took all of this in stride as it isn't the first time this has ever happened. I was calm until I noticed blood coming from her mouth. But then I noticed it - she had a little space in the bottom of her mouth where a baby tooth had once been. FAITH HAD JUST LOST HER FIRST TOOTH!!

I figured she had swallowed her tooth but I looked for it anyway. After a few minutes of searching, there it was! Right in the middle of her puke on her chest strap! I was so happy I had found it that I forgot my daughter was sitting there miserably covered in throw up. After realizing this, I promptly got her out of her chair and into the tub.

Faith and I were lying on the living room floor when her daddy came home from work. As soon as he walked in the door, she yelled, "Daddy, I lost my tooth!" Rob quickly came over and gave her lots of hugs and told her how cute she looked with her new little gap.

When Faith was a baby and a toddler, she never reached many of the milestones that children those ages reach. No sitting up at six months, no crawling or walking. You learn to grieve those losses and move on. But when a milestone occurs when it should it almost seems like a miracle. And that's why we're doubly excited about Faith losing her first tooth - right on time!

5 comments:

  1. I know you already shared this with me Cari but just reading it again on your blog brought tears of joy. Thanks for sharing this exciting milestone with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Toni - that is so sweet! So glad we saw each other over the weekend. We can't let so much time pass before we get together again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! Take lots of pictures of that toothless grin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apraxia Mom - I tried to take a few photos the other day but couldn't quite get that little gap. I'll keep trying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful Blog, Cari. I enjoy seeing photos of your beautiful daughter and reading about your life experiences.

    ReplyDelete