Saturday, February 23, 2013

Feeling Worn and Weary?

Have you every felt this way? 

I know I need to lift my eyes up
But I'm too weak
Life just won't let up
And I know that You can give me rest
So I cry out with all that I have left

My prayers are wearing thin
And I'm worn 
Even before the day begins
I'm worn
I've lost my will to fight

I bet there are a lot of special needs parents or parents with very young children who can relate to these words. I know I can. Whenever I hear the song, Worn which contains the above lyrics, I am transported back in time when Faith was a little baby. I was working full time during the day and trying to look after her at night. She did not sleep well, which meant neither Rob nor I sleep well either. To make things even harder, Rob worked overnights on the weekends.

I was in a major state of sleep deprivation. I started drinking caffeine and eating sugar everyday at work to help me stay awake. It didn't help that my thyroid was out of whack. Eventually I was diagnosed with clinical depression and put on an antidepressant. It seemed that every day for years I was exhausted, I was completely worn.
Faith's post-NICU days were filled with sleepless nights that lasted throughout her early school years
I tried my hardest to pray during these difficult times but all I could think to pray for was sleep. Thankfully, our family had a lot of prayer support from volunteers at the Healing Rooms and from friends and family as well. Through the years, Faith continued having trouble sleeping but it has gotten better. There was a light at the end of the tunnel. Currently, I am off my antidepressants and no longer even drink caffeine. God is good!

So for all of you special needs moms or moms of young children who are struggling just to get through the day, I would like to offer you encouragement and hope. There is a light at the end of the tunnel for you as well. Just don't be afraid or ashamed to ask others to pray for you and keep trusting that He will bring you through this difficult time.

Some Scriptures for the worn and weary:

Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light. Matthew 11:28-30

When you lie down, you will not be afraid; Yes, you will lie down and your sleep will be sweet. Proverbs 3:24

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31


By the way this song was written by the lead singer of Tenth Avenue North, Mike Donehey. He and his wife had two young girls and one night as they lay down in bed, his wife reached over and told him how worn out she was feeling. He knew he needed to write a song called "Worn." 

Feel free to check out my website www.carijean.com and my other blog Having Faith 

4 comments:

  1. That is a great song. Thank you for sharing this:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement Cari. I am especially weary this week, so it was quite timely! Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your welcome, ladies. Blessings to you and your families - I'll be praying for each of you this week.

    ReplyDelete