Skip to main content

A Blessed Christmas Season

Some people start their Christmas season the day after Thanksgiving. Not us! We actually wait until about the second week of December, when we go to the Nutcracker, put on by Northern Plains Dance. (Plus, this year, both of us were still recovering from covid in November!) Every year, Faith loves to see her friends perform onstage and visit with them afterward. We have been going to this performance since 2017, and it never ceases to amaze us! It's been so fun to watch the growth of her ballet friends as they take on more challenging parts each year. 

Enjoying the Nutcracker for the 6th year in a row! 

One new thing that I was able to do this year was go to the Lorie Line Christmas Concert. She has been coming to Bismarck for 30 years and I have always wanted to go, but it has never worked out. This year I was going to try to go with my parents, but then decided not to, as by the time I was going to get tickets, it looked nearly sold out. But then a friend of mine asked if I could help transport her grandma (who uses a wheelchair) in our van to the concert. In exchange for helping, she bought me a ticket to the concert! 

I was just expecting to sit there and listen to Lorie Line play the piano, but it was so much more! She and her husband both interacted with the audience quite a bit and at one point, she even took requests. As people shouted out their favorite songs, she wrote them down and then came up with a medley that included several of the songs! The featured vocalist (Jimmy Finch) was a professional opera singer. He even sang my favorite Christmas carol, "O Holy Night". I just might have to make this event a tradition as well! 

Lorie Line Christmas concert - such a wonderful experience! 

On Saturday, the 23rd, Faith's dad came for a visit. She had a nice time hanging out with him and got to open a few gifts. On Christmas Eve, Faith and I went to church in the morning and then the candlelight service in the evening. My sisters met us there, which I was very surprised and happy about! It was a nice service and afterward, Faith and I drove around and looked at Christmas lights. 


Opening some gifts. 

At church for the Christmas Eve service. Photo credit: Tesa Graff 
Checking out some of the Christmas lights! 

The next day, Faith did a video chat with her Auntie Joh in Canada and got to see her two kitties. Finally, it was time for the big event at Grandma and Grandpa's. There was lots of food, fun, and laughter. 

Along with all the people, there was also a dog named Josie (who came with her family from Nebraska) and the Grinch. My brother and his family from South Dakota had also traveled to Bismarck. After a lively gift exchange game, Faith was tuckered out, so we ventured home. 

Gift exchange game. 
Faith's aunties, Tesa and Dawn helping her during the gift exchange game. 
Faith with Grandma, Grandpa, her cousins, and Josie the dog. 

No one will ever know what it took to get that Christmas tree placed there for family photos! 

Dawn and Faith taking a break from all the chaos and then the Grinch shows up. 

Another thing we have been blessed with this Christmas season is the nice weather. It hasn't been near as cold or snowy like last year. In fact, we have hardly gotten any snow at all and the temps in December have been well above freezing. That all changed overnight when half of the state got hit with a major ice storm! We began getting freezing rain overnight and by the time Tuesday morning rolled around, the streets and sidewalks had become a skating rink. Needless to say, Faith did not make it to therapy or her day program! 

That evening, I received a text from my mom asking for prayer for my brother-in-law who had slipped on the ice at their place and cracked his head open. I started praying right away. Thankfully, despite the ice-covered streets, my brother and his wife were able to get him to the ER in record time (good thing they have a brand-new truck with 4WD). My brother-in-law ended up needing stitches and got a concussion, but we are all so thankful that it wasn't worse. 

Look how shiny the ice made our street! 

The next day, the sun came out in full force and the temperatures reached above freezing, which helped to begin the thawing process. By the time I took Faith to her day program, the no travel advisory had been lifted and things had improved immensely. Another thing to be thankful for was that our power didn't go out, which happened to many people in the southeast part of the state. 

On Friday after taking Faith to her day program, I met my sister, her husband, and one of their sons, along with my parents, for lunch at the Pizza Ranch. That evening, my sister and her boys came over for one final visit, during which we played a fun game of, "Do You Really Know Your Family?" Faith had a blast hanging out with her cousins. 

Faith with her auntie and cousins. 

While it's fun to partake in so many events, do the decorating, eat the goodies, exchange gifts, and be with family, let us not forget the true reason for the season. God came to us in such a humble way, through a baby named Jesus born in a stable, and then died on a cross 33 years later so that our sins could be forgiven. 

Not only that, but those who believe in Him are sealed by the Holy Spirit, have full assurance of salvation, and will live with Him for eternity, which is much more than we could ever deserve! This is why we celebrate Christmas - He truly is the Reason for the Season! 


Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from our family to yours! (Photo credit: Amber Lawlar) 




Comments

  1. Wonderful and the pictures are spectacular.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Used to Our New School Schedule

Today marks Faith's 8th day of school and we are all adjusting to a new schedule. Faith has made huge strides this past summer in sleeping better and having more energy so we decided to have her go to school from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. 5 days a week. This is a change as last year she did not go Tuesday and Thursday afternoons due to how tired and worn out she would get. Faith's first day of 4th grade School starts at 8:30 a.m. but we asked if it would be okay for us to get her there at 9:00 instead. This allows us to more time to get her first feeding into her before she even gets to school. Her aides noticed last year that when we brought her to school without any food in her tummy, she was pretty sluggish and tired upon arrival. Sometimes, after getting her to school she wouldn't start getting her feeding until after 9:00 a.m. which meant, that because she gets a feeding every 3 hours, her last feeding of the day didn't end until 10:00 p.m. Another advantage to

A Real Pain in the Arm

Last Wednesday I had my yearly doctor exam and when she said I should get my tetanus shot updated, I didn't think twice about it. The nurse said my arm would be sore for a couple of days, gave me a handout and stuck the needle in my arm. The next day my arm was sore and although I found it a little harder to pick up and carry Faith, I was glad the pain wasn't going to last long. Boy was I wrong! But not only was my arm sore, my whole body was. I felt achy and extremely tired. According to a medical site on the Internet, these were mild side effects of the Tetanus shot. If these were only mild side effects, I would really hate to have them at a moderate or severe level. On Friday, two days after getting the shot I felt so tired that I took a four hour nap after getting Faith off to school. Then on Saturday I took a three hour nap up until 7 o'clock but still felt tired and was able to go back to sleep around 10. On Sunday, finally the fatigue started wearing off and I didn

Goodbye to Our Special Tomato

Today we said goodbye to our Special Tomato adaptive car seat. And special it was. It helped Faith stay safe and secure in our Hyundai driving her back and forth to therapy appointments, shopping excursions and many other activities. It also helped us through our time of not being able to afford an accessible van. Like all adaptive equipment , the special car seat was expensive and although it is the law that a child is secured in a car seat while traveling in a vehicle, neither health insurance nor Medicaid would pay for it. Thankfully, we were able to receive funds from the fundraiser, the Great American Bike Race ( GABR ) which helps families pay for services and equipment that insurance doesn't cover for kids with cerebral palsy and related disabilities.  After doing research on the Internet and talking to Faith's physical and occupational therapists, we decided to go for the Special Tomato adaptive car seat. You would think something with that name would be r