Skip to main content

A Day I'll Never Forget

It's hard to believe that it was nine years ago today I was taken by air-ambulance from the hospital in Williston to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota. Faith was very unexpectedly trying to make her way into the world 14 weeks early. The doctors and staff in Williston knew they did not have the expertise in dealing with a mom with a complex heart condition having a baby born so prematurely. I had been planning on having Faith in Rochester but not this soon! After all, my due date wasn't until January 6th.

After getting to Rochester, I was in the hospital for five days hooked up to a baby monitor. Faith seemed to be doing well and I was no longer going into preterm labor. Although I wanted to just go back home, the doctors thought it would be wise for me to stick around Rochester, just in case. The TravelLodge became my temporary home.
Faith in the NICU in Rochester, Minnesota where she was born
Rob had been going back and forth between Rochester and Watford City. And when we found out I was going to be staying in Rochester possibly until Faith was born, he brought me lots of books, movies, the VCR and even my desk top computer. Unfortunately he couldn't stay there with me because he was trying to keep our business afloat back home.

While in Rochester during that time, I mostly remember asking God why all of this was happening. I tried hard to focus on the scripture, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding" (Proverbs 3:5). But I still had so many questions. Should I have even gotten pregnant in the first place considering the high risk? Why would God allow me to get pregnant if it meant going through all of this?

There is another scripture that says, "the thief comes to steal, kill and destroy" (John 10:10). Now more than ever I believe that is exactly what the enemy was trying to do - to steal Faith from me, to kill her and to destroy mine and Rob's lives.

There are a lot of people who question why bad things happen to good people. They oftentimes forget we live in a fallen world where both good and evil exists and that "our enemy prowls around like a roaring lion seeking someone to devour" (1 Peter 5:8).
Thankfully, Faith stayed in my womb for another three weeks. And although she was born early with some damage to her brain, I praise God for the victory that she survived and that now nine years later she lives a blessed and abundant life - which is the second part of John 10:10 - "But I (Jesus) am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly."

And because of my daughter Faith, who tried to come so early nine years ago, my faith has been strengthened and I believe more than ever in God's amazing grace, His love for us, His faithfulness and His healing. Because we have experienced troubles and hardship, the joy is that much greater.

I have also come to understand that the words of James cannot be more true, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." (James 1:2-4).
Faith at about four years old - full of joy and love!
Soon our giggly girl will be celebrating nine years of life!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Used to Our New School Schedule

Today marks Faith's 8th day of school and we are all adjusting to a new schedule. Faith has made huge strides this past summer in sleeping better and having more energy so we decided to have her go to school from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. 5 days a week. This is a change as last year she did not go Tuesday and Thursday afternoons due to how tired and worn out she would get. Faith's first day of 4th grade School starts at 8:30 a.m. but we asked if it would be okay for us to get her there at 9:00 instead. This allows us to more time to get her first feeding into her before she even gets to school. Her aides noticed last year that when we brought her to school without any food in her tummy, she was pretty sluggish and tired upon arrival. Sometimes, after getting her to school she wouldn't start getting her feeding until after 9:00 a.m. which meant, that because she gets a feeding every 3 hours, her last feeding of the day didn't end until 10:00 p.m. Another advantage to

A Real Pain in the Arm

Last Wednesday I had my yearly doctor exam and when she said I should get my tetanus shot updated, I didn't think twice about it. The nurse said my arm would be sore for a couple of days, gave me a handout and stuck the needle in my arm. The next day my arm was sore and although I found it a little harder to pick up and carry Faith, I was glad the pain wasn't going to last long. Boy was I wrong! But not only was my arm sore, my whole body was. I felt achy and extremely tired. According to a medical site on the Internet, these were mild side effects of the Tetanus shot. If these were only mild side effects, I would really hate to have them at a moderate or severe level. On Friday, two days after getting the shot I felt so tired that I took a four hour nap after getting Faith off to school. Then on Saturday I took a three hour nap up until 7 o'clock but still felt tired and was able to go back to sleep around 10. On Sunday, finally the fatigue started wearing off and I didn

Goodbye to Our Special Tomato

Today we said goodbye to our Special Tomato adaptive car seat. And special it was. It helped Faith stay safe and secure in our Hyundai driving her back and forth to therapy appointments, shopping excursions and many other activities. It also helped us through our time of not being able to afford an accessible van. Like all adaptive equipment , the special car seat was expensive and although it is the law that a child is secured in a car seat while traveling in a vehicle, neither health insurance nor Medicaid would pay for it. Thankfully, we were able to receive funds from the fundraiser, the Great American Bike Race ( GABR ) which helps families pay for services and equipment that insurance doesn't cover for kids with cerebral palsy and related disabilities.  After doing research on the Internet and talking to Faith's physical and occupational therapists, we decided to go for the Special Tomato adaptive car seat. You would think something with that name would be r