Skip to main content

A Rough Week

I don't usually use the old cliche, Thank God Its Friday or TGIF but today I really am thanking the Lord it is Friday. This week has been a bit of a rough one for the whole Bousfield family.

Monday - Faith had the day off from school for an unused snow day or something and thank goodness she did because she woke up at 6:30 a.m. throwing up. After getting her changed, me changed and her bed cleaned up, she did a repeat about 30 minutes later. She continued to do so until mid-afternoon until there was absolutely nothing left in her poor little tummy. Later that afternoon, she seemed to be feeling better so a gave her a mixture of pediasure/water and she kept it down.

Tuesday
- Faith and I woke up to find Rob at home on the couch. Now he was throwing up and had called in sick. I kept Faith home from school to make sure her feedings were going to continue going okay. Although tired, she did make it to occupational and speech therapy in the afternoon but ended up having a diarrhea-like diaper that her poor OT had to change because I stepped out to run an errand. (Thanks, Nicole!)

Wednesday - I had to wake a sound-sleeping girl to go to school. She was not a happy camper. I knew she was going to go into one of those crying fits that lasted all the way to school so I tried to ease her into getting dressed. I sat with her and gave her lots of kisses and hugs. But we were quickly running out of time and I had to get her dressed and ready. Sure enough, her crying fit started and lasted all the way through me combing her hair, brushing her teeth, putting her orthotics on and getting her feeding ready. It it had not been for a sweet little boy in the hallway, she would have continued crying. But her curiosity had been piqued by the little boy and his mom and baby sister so we made it down the elevator in peace.

Thursday - Faith decided it was time to get up at 4:30 a.m. and stayed wide awake until 7:00 a.m. at which time she finally went back to sleep. I decided to let her sleep and didn't send her to school. That afternoon, I felt a migraine trying to sneak its way inside my head. I popped two advil and drank some strong coffee. After my vision cleared, I was able to get Faith to therapy where she went swimming and had physical therapy. She had sort of a tough time in PT because she was tired and Jackie had her practicing going through doorways in her power chair, which is not her favorite PT activity. By some miracle, my migraine never came completely into fruition that afternoon.

That night, I arrived home from my small group Bible Study to find Faith and Michelle in the bathroom, where Faith had thrown up. This time though, I think it was due to the fact that she was trying to have a bowel movement during one of her feedings, which sometimes happens.

Friday - 2:00 a.m. Faith is awake. I am confident I can get her back to sleep but to no avail. I begin to feel sharp migraine-like pains in my head. To my dismay, Faith began talking and wanted to get up, which woke Rob up. While we struggled to get back to sleep, Rob stayed up to watch TV. Finally, at 5:00 a.m. Faith fell asleep and didn't wake up until 10:30 a.m. Another day of missed school.

There are many theories by me, my friends, Faith's therapists and her pediatrician as to why Faith isn't sleeping well. One of which is that the tightness in her muscles is making it uncomfortable for her, which means her botox is wearing off (she gets injections in her legs every six months to help those muscles to relax). More frequent botox may be the answer. She may also need another phenol block, which is a procedure done where they block off some nerves in her legs. The nerves will regenerate, which is why another procedure may be needed. Other suggestions offered have been massage therapy, a visit to the sauna, see a chiropractor and/or stretch her legs more than twice a day.

Another theory is that her sinuses are bothering her. Last week she went to get another x-ray of her face and it showed there was still some congestion on one side of her nose. We continue to give her allergy medicine.

At this point, I'm not sure what the answer may be. What I do know is that this has been very challenging for our whole family and I continue to pray and seek God for his strength, grace and guidance on how to care for Faith and to help her sleep better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Used to Our New School Schedule

Today marks Faith's 8th day of school and we are all adjusting to a new schedule. Faith has made huge strides this past summer in sleeping better and having more energy so we decided to have her go to school from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. 5 days a week. This is a change as last year she did not go Tuesday and Thursday afternoons due to how tired and worn out she would get. Faith's first day of 4th grade School starts at 8:30 a.m. but we asked if it would be okay for us to get her there at 9:00 instead. This allows us to more time to get her first feeding into her before she even gets to school. Her aides noticed last year that when we brought her to school without any food in her tummy, she was pretty sluggish and tired upon arrival. Sometimes, after getting her to school she wouldn't start getting her feeding until after 9:00 a.m. which meant, that because she gets a feeding every 3 hours, her last feeding of the day didn't end until 10:00 p.m. Another advantage to

A Real Pain in the Arm

Last Wednesday I had my yearly doctor exam and when she said I should get my tetanus shot updated, I didn't think twice about it. The nurse said my arm would be sore for a couple of days, gave me a handout and stuck the needle in my arm. The next day my arm was sore and although I found it a little harder to pick up and carry Faith, I was glad the pain wasn't going to last long. Boy was I wrong! But not only was my arm sore, my whole body was. I felt achy and extremely tired. According to a medical site on the Internet, these were mild side effects of the Tetanus shot. If these were only mild side effects, I would really hate to have them at a moderate or severe level. On Friday, two days after getting the shot I felt so tired that I took a four hour nap after getting Faith off to school. Then on Saturday I took a three hour nap up until 7 o'clock but still felt tired and was able to go back to sleep around 10. On Sunday, finally the fatigue started wearing off and I didn

Goodbye to Our Special Tomato

Today we said goodbye to our Special Tomato adaptive car seat. And special it was. It helped Faith stay safe and secure in our Hyundai driving her back and forth to therapy appointments, shopping excursions and many other activities. It also helped us through our time of not being able to afford an accessible van. Like all adaptive equipment , the special car seat was expensive and although it is the law that a child is secured in a car seat while traveling in a vehicle, neither health insurance nor Medicaid would pay for it. Thankfully, we were able to receive funds from the fundraiser, the Great American Bike Race ( GABR ) which helps families pay for services and equipment that insurance doesn't cover for kids with cerebral palsy and related disabilities.  After doing research on the Internet and talking to Faith's physical and occupational therapists, we decided to go for the Special Tomato adaptive car seat. You would think something with that name would be r