Skip to main content

Dance, Dance, Dance!

Faith loves going to plays, musicals, ballet performances, and other events in which her friends perform. When she was younger, I thought attending these things would be too overwhelming for her as she has a strong startle reflex. Usually, it's loud sudden noises that trigger a strong startle response. I figured out though, that as long as the noise is constant, and she knows what to expect, she actually does very well. When I found out that Dreams in Motion was doing wheelchair dance again this year, I figured she would want to do it. When I asked, she enthusiastically said, "YES!" 

She was so excited to go to her first practice. She told everyone she saw that she was going to be in a dance performance! During practice, we found out the theme was Encanto (which we have never seen). They were going to be dancing to a medley of songs from the movie. There were about a dozen participants, some with manual wheelchairs and others with powerchairs. 

During practice, each of them was paired with a volunteer who helped them move and do the dance moves. Faith even had a little solo part in which she had to carry a coffee cup to the dance instructor and hand it to her when she said, "And that's why coffee's for grownups!" 

Faith was all smiles during her first dance practice! 

The following week, Faith had dress rehearsals in which they received their costumes. Each participant and volunteer got to wear a little tiny sombrero along with a colorful poncho. They also practiced with the props that were a part of the performance. 

It was great seeing everyone have so much fun together. Faith knew a few of the participants from past Dreams and Motion events (such as wheelchair soccer and track and field). She also knew some of them from where she goes to therapy and her day program. A few other moms remarked how comical she was. She certainly does love to make people laugh! 

Faith laughing at Coach Lacey. 

Faith with her super fun partner, Liz! 

Practicing her coffee cup part. 

The actual performance was held at Shiloh Christian School and hosted by Just for Kix, which is a dance company in Bismarck. There were 3 performances, and the wheelchair dance group would be participating in 2 of them. The first performance was at 10:00, which meant we needed to be there at 9:30. Thankfully, the school was less than 5 minutes away from where we lived. 

We were told that the show would be standing room only, so I was expecting mass chaos upon arrival. Even though we arrived 30 minutes before the show started, the parking lot was already full. I wasn't sure how I was going to get Faith unloaded on my own and then park. (Of course, all the handicap spots were taken!) I was thinking I could text my parents, who I knew were probably already inside, and ask for their help. Then, I looked and saw a good friend walking through the parking lot with her granddaughter. I honked and asked if she could take Faith inside and wait with her while I parked. Talk about God's perfect timing! 

Inside, we found our group and just hung out until it was their turn. There were about 9 or 10 teams before them. Finally, I let Faith's partner take over and went to find a spot to record their performance. They all did so great! Even when one of the props kept falling over, they just rolled with it and didn't let it phase them. Faith wasn't nervous or scared or anything - I was so proud of her and everyone else! 

Here they come! Faith didn't even seem phased by the packed gym. 



When they finished, I heard a thunderous round of applause and then everyone began to stand! My eyes instantly filled with tears. I really felt like these wheelchair dancers had inspired everyone in the audience, including the other dancers. Afterward, I hurried to the lobby, found Faith and told her that she did it and I was so proud of her! All of the performers were super excited and some of the moms had tears in their eyes, too. 

Since we had a few hours before the next performance, I debated on going back home for a bit. I decided against it, though as I didn't want to have to deal with parking again. My parents came into the lobby and told Faith what a great job she and everyone else had done. I told them I wasn't prepared for it to be such an emotional experience. Mom said there were even people in the stands crying. 

So glad Grandpa and Grandma could make it to the performance!

Me and my dancer! 

During the break, Faith ate a bag of animal crackers and I grabbed a hot dog. We had a nice time just visiting with other parents and their kids. At one point, I took Faith into the bathroom to give her some water through her g-tube. There were some other dancers in there and Faith tried to strike up a conversation with them. She really isn't afraid to talk to anyone! Out in the lobby, she continued to compliment the other dancers on their hair and their costumes. We were sitting right next to the table where people came in and paid and she tried to talk to almost everyone there, too. I told her she really didn't have to talk to everyone! (She gets it from her Grandpa!) 

Finally, it was time for performance number 2 and they did just as well with another standing ovation. Afterward, the group took some pictures, handed out certificates, and then Faith was ready to head home. It had been an exciting day and she was ready to just relax! All in all, it was a great experience and she already can't wait to do it again next year! 

Coach Lacey handing Faith her certificate. 

Faith's certificate and flowers from Grandma! 

Comments

  1. It was so much fun ! Faith did great ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Used to Our New School Schedule

Today marks Faith's 8th day of school and we are all adjusting to a new schedule. Faith has made huge strides this past summer in sleeping better and having more energy so we decided to have her go to school from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. 5 days a week. This is a change as last year she did not go Tuesday and Thursday afternoons due to how tired and worn out she would get. Faith's first day of 4th grade School starts at 8:30 a.m. but we asked if it would be okay for us to get her there at 9:00 instead. This allows us to more time to get her first feeding into her before she even gets to school. Her aides noticed last year that when we brought her to school without any food in her tummy, she was pretty sluggish and tired upon arrival. Sometimes, after getting her to school she wouldn't start getting her feeding until after 9:00 a.m. which meant, that because she gets a feeding every 3 hours, her last feeding of the day didn't end until 10:00 p.m. Another advantage to

A Real Pain in the Arm

Last Wednesday I had my yearly doctor exam and when she said I should get my tetanus shot updated, I didn't think twice about it. The nurse said my arm would be sore for a couple of days, gave me a handout and stuck the needle in my arm. The next day my arm was sore and although I found it a little harder to pick up and carry Faith, I was glad the pain wasn't going to last long. Boy was I wrong! But not only was my arm sore, my whole body was. I felt achy and extremely tired. According to a medical site on the Internet, these were mild side effects of the Tetanus shot. If these were only mild side effects, I would really hate to have them at a moderate or severe level. On Friday, two days after getting the shot I felt so tired that I took a four hour nap after getting Faith off to school. Then on Saturday I took a three hour nap up until 7 o'clock but still felt tired and was able to go back to sleep around 10. On Sunday, finally the fatigue started wearing off and I didn

Goodbye to Our Special Tomato

Today we said goodbye to our Special Tomato adaptive car seat. And special it was. It helped Faith stay safe and secure in our Hyundai driving her back and forth to therapy appointments, shopping excursions and many other activities. It also helped us through our time of not being able to afford an accessible van. Like all adaptive equipment , the special car seat was expensive and although it is the law that a child is secured in a car seat while traveling in a vehicle, neither health insurance nor Medicaid would pay for it. Thankfully, we were able to receive funds from the fundraiser, the Great American Bike Race ( GABR ) which helps families pay for services and equipment that insurance doesn't cover for kids with cerebral palsy and related disabilities.  After doing research on the Internet and talking to Faith's physical and occupational therapists, we decided to go for the Special Tomato adaptive car seat. You would think something with that name would be r