Skip to main content

Faith's First Anat Baniel Lessons

To someone who might not know Faith well, or to the stranger observing Faith, her movements probably seem pretty abnormal. Her tone kicks in and her muscles tighten, not allowing her to move or relax. Every once in a while, she throws her arms up in the air for no apparent reason. When she's tired, her head hangs to the side and she can barely keep it up, even while sitting supported in her chair. But to me, this is Faith and this is how she has moved for most of her life.

She has spastic motions that are anything but graceful. While sitting with me, her hand will shoot up and slap me in the face. There is no reason - no purpose for some of her movements - that is all she and her parents have known. We are in a constant battle with her high muscle tone. Sometimes she tightens up so stiffly we can barely pick her up. This is how it has been for her nine years of life. This is normal for us.

This week I learned life does not have to be this way. This week I've seen Faith move in ways I never thought possible for her, barring a miraculous healing. It was amazing to see Faith push her feet in her footrests to help scoot her behind to the right place in her chair. It was amazing to see Faith "find the middle" of her chair and to sit up in a straightened position all on her own - even without the support of the laterals on her chair. She was excited too and repeated, "I did it! I did it!"

It has been an eye-opening week for me, to say the least. I've come to realize that keeping her strapped and restrained tightly in her chair has not allowed her to explore ways for her to achieve purposeful movement. Her movement has always been so random and so disorganized, but through the Anat Banal Method, both Faith and I learned that there are ways to help her organize and move her body that are beneficial to her. In doing so, her brain can actually form new neural connections.

I know it all sounds so abstract and it is hard to even put down into words. So instead of using words, I'll share some photos that I took while Faith was working with Pati Holman, who comes to Bismarck from Milwaukee, WI.
This was actually day 2 of meeting Pati. The first day I just wanted to listen and take it all in so I didn't take any photos. Faith was a little nervous to get on the table on the first day and although she was still nervous on day 2, she quickly got over it. She and Pati had a great connection and I know Faith completely trusts her.
Pati helps Faith move on to her side. When Faith rolls onto her side, her body is usually very disorganized and she uses her legs, arms and her head to try to get herself onto her side. Pati repeatedly and very slowly rolled Faith onto her left side then her right and eventually Faith could do it without her whole body flailing in all directions.
Slow movements are essential in getting Faith to relax and help her feel and pay attention to how her body moves
Faith in a sitting position toward the end of the lesson - see how relaxed her legs are! Usually when she's in a sitting position, her lets shoot straight out.
Faith's third lesson - "Oh yeah, I know this lady! She's pretty nice but she's serious business too!"
Pati trying to help Faith figure out what is best for her in a sitting position.
Going from sitting to lying on her back.
Pati takes hold of Faith's arm to help her go from her back to a side position in the gentlest way possible, keeping her whole body as organized as she can.
Faith is totally relaxed and she finds something to play with.
Back to sitting. Pati has Faith putting her cheek on one knee then she helped Faith put her other leg up to do the same. This helps Faith to know that she has a right leg and a left leg and that they can function separately from one another. This is helping Faith to bring attention to her movement which is important for the brain in creating new connections.
That's it! That was our first four Anat Baniel Lessons. Both Robert and I feel this was a very positive experience for Faith we are looking forward to learning more!

Comments

  1. WOW ~ ! WAY TO GO, FAITH! You can be so proud of yourself! Good for YOU~!

    ~ tina and the dings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thrilled for her progress! I'm sure you must be so thankful! We are too. Go FAith! Go Jesus!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Used to Our New School Schedule

Today marks Faith's 8th day of school and we are all adjusting to a new schedule. Faith has made huge strides this past summer in sleeping better and having more energy so we decided to have her go to school from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. 5 days a week. This is a change as last year she did not go Tuesday and Thursday afternoons due to how tired and worn out she would get. Faith's first day of 4th grade School starts at 8:30 a.m. but we asked if it would be okay for us to get her there at 9:00 instead. This allows us to more time to get her first feeding into her before she even gets to school. Her aides noticed last year that when we brought her to school without any food in her tummy, she was pretty sluggish and tired upon arrival. Sometimes, after getting her to school she wouldn't start getting her feeding until after 9:00 a.m. which meant, that because she gets a feeding every 3 hours, her last feeding of the day didn't end until 10:00 p.m. Another advantage to

A Real Pain in the Arm

Last Wednesday I had my yearly doctor exam and when she said I should get my tetanus shot updated, I didn't think twice about it. The nurse said my arm would be sore for a couple of days, gave me a handout and stuck the needle in my arm. The next day my arm was sore and although I found it a little harder to pick up and carry Faith, I was glad the pain wasn't going to last long. Boy was I wrong! But not only was my arm sore, my whole body was. I felt achy and extremely tired. According to a medical site on the Internet, these were mild side effects of the Tetanus shot. If these were only mild side effects, I would really hate to have them at a moderate or severe level. On Friday, two days after getting the shot I felt so tired that I took a four hour nap after getting Faith off to school. Then on Saturday I took a three hour nap up until 7 o'clock but still felt tired and was able to go back to sleep around 10. On Sunday, finally the fatigue started wearing off and I didn

Goodbye to Our Special Tomato

Today we said goodbye to our Special Tomato adaptive car seat. And special it was. It helped Faith stay safe and secure in our Hyundai driving her back and forth to therapy appointments, shopping excursions and many other activities. It also helped us through our time of not being able to afford an accessible van. Like all adaptive equipment , the special car seat was expensive and although it is the law that a child is secured in a car seat while traveling in a vehicle, neither health insurance nor Medicaid would pay for it. Thankfully, we were able to receive funds from the fundraiser, the Great American Bike Race ( GABR ) which helps families pay for services and equipment that insurance doesn't cover for kids with cerebral palsy and related disabilities.  After doing research on the Internet and talking to Faith's physical and occupational therapists, we decided to go for the Special Tomato adaptive car seat. You would think something with that name would be r