Skip to main content

Our IEP Meeting, A Dietician and Chocolate Cake

Faith loves chocolate cake!
What a crazy week this has been. We have had many appointments and meetings this week but I'm only going to mention a few of the more important ones.

We had Faith's IEP Meeting (Individual Education Plan) which is a huge meeting involving all who work with Faith at school to ensure we are setting up proper goals for her and working with her to attain those goals. If I count correctly, there were a dozen people seated around the conference table - all who thankfully have Faith's best interests in mind.

Rob could only be there on his lunch break so I was a little nervous at first when he wasn't there because I was worried I was going to say the wrong thing or answer a question wrong or something. But thankfully when Rob showed up, my nerves settled. They all talked about standardized testing and how that really wouldn't be fair to Faith considering her physical limitations. In the end we as a team decided to for-go any type of testing and focus on helping her achieve her goals.

Throughout the meeting, I was genuinely impressed with each and every one of those members on Faith's IEP team. They all had great input and great ideas. They are a group that is high on problem-solving and will go to great lengths to make sure Faith's needs are met at school. I really couldn't ask for a better group of people and am completely confident in each of their abilities to allow Faith to achieve success at school.

I am not naive and I know this isn't always the case with special needs kids and the schools they attend. Some parents really have to fight for their child and defend their child. It is obvious in some cases that the school doesn't even want to deal with certain children or the needs of those children, which I find sad and heartbreaking. I am also thankful that Faith's school has so many resources at their disposal, which I know is not the case for every school, especially those schools in smaller towns or on the Reservation.

On another note, Faith had an appointment with a dietitian yesterday. I think Kelly really got a kick out of Faith, especially since Faith kept calling her by her first and last name. And while Kelly and I were discussing Faith's diet, Faith would interrupt and say to Kelly, "I think you need to write that down."

We decided Faith needs more fiber added to her diet to ensure she doesn't get constipated. I also found out I may have actually been feeding her too much with her 10 oz. feedings four times a day. Faith had a fast growth spurt this summer and that's probably why! The dietitian told me if they grow too quickly it could impede their physical capabilities (those with CP anyway) and cause her body to not function as it once had. Which is what we were seeing with Faith - her digestive system seemed to be not working quite as well as it once was. We also figured out exactly how much water Faith should be getting and that she could continue to eat solids as she pleases.

The dietitian was really able to break the numbers down for us and figure out exactly how many calories and grams of fiber, etc. Faith needs for her body to function as optimally as possible.

Finally, I am giving the recipe for my crockpot chocolate cake that I had mentioned on Facebook and had many interested inquiries about it. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Ingredients
18 1/2 oz. pkg. chocolate cake mix
3.9 oz. pkg. instant chocolate pudding mix
6 oz. pkg. semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 c. sour cream
1 c. water
1/2 c. oil
4 eggs, beaten
Ice cream or whipped topping

Mix all ingredients well; pour into a greased slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve warm, topped with vanilla ice cream or whipped topping.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Used to Our New School Schedule

Today marks Faith's 8th day of school and we are all adjusting to a new schedule. Faith has made huge strides this past summer in sleeping better and having more energy so we decided to have her go to school from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. 5 days a week. This is a change as last year she did not go Tuesday and Thursday afternoons due to how tired and worn out she would get. Faith's first day of 4th grade School starts at 8:30 a.m. but we asked if it would be okay for us to get her there at 9:00 instead. This allows us to more time to get her first feeding into her before she even gets to school. Her aides noticed last year that when we brought her to school without any food in her tummy, she was pretty sluggish and tired upon arrival. Sometimes, after getting her to school she wouldn't start getting her feeding until after 9:00 a.m. which meant, that because she gets a feeding every 3 hours, her last feeding of the day didn't end until 10:00 p.m. Another advantage to

A Real Pain in the Arm

Last Wednesday I had my yearly doctor exam and when she said I should get my tetanus shot updated, I didn't think twice about it. The nurse said my arm would be sore for a couple of days, gave me a handout and stuck the needle in my arm. The next day my arm was sore and although I found it a little harder to pick up and carry Faith, I was glad the pain wasn't going to last long. Boy was I wrong! But not only was my arm sore, my whole body was. I felt achy and extremely tired. According to a medical site on the Internet, these were mild side effects of the Tetanus shot. If these were only mild side effects, I would really hate to have them at a moderate or severe level. On Friday, two days after getting the shot I felt so tired that I took a four hour nap after getting Faith off to school. Then on Saturday I took a three hour nap up until 7 o'clock but still felt tired and was able to go back to sleep around 10. On Sunday, finally the fatigue started wearing off and I didn

Goodbye to Our Special Tomato

Today we said goodbye to our Special Tomato adaptive car seat. And special it was. It helped Faith stay safe and secure in our Hyundai driving her back and forth to therapy appointments, shopping excursions and many other activities. It also helped us through our time of not being able to afford an accessible van. Like all adaptive equipment , the special car seat was expensive and although it is the law that a child is secured in a car seat while traveling in a vehicle, neither health insurance nor Medicaid would pay for it. Thankfully, we were able to receive funds from the fundraiser, the Great American Bike Race ( GABR ) which helps families pay for services and equipment that insurance doesn't cover for kids with cerebral palsy and related disabilities.  After doing research on the Internet and talking to Faith's physical and occupational therapists, we decided to go for the Special Tomato adaptive car seat. You would think something with that name would be r