Friday, August 6, 2010

The Dreaded Botox Appointment

Today was the dreaded day. Faith's botox appointment was at 12:30 and now, thank goodness it is over. She is happily at home watching one of her favorite Elmo DVDs.

While we were getting ready to go, she asked who we were going to go see. Usually I volunteer this information but I wasn't sure what to say to her. I told her we were going to see Danielle (who helps Dr. Eggert, the one who injects the botox). Faith loves Danielle and I think the feeling is mutual. She asked what we were going to do with Danielle and I told her we were going to talk to her. Then Faith asked, "Mommy are you going to be there with me the whole time?" She knew something was up.

Danielle met us out in the waiting room and we went back to her office. She applied some topical ointment to Faith's skin that would help lessen the pain of the needles. Faith was totally fine with that. We had to wait about fifteen minutes and during that time I tried to explain to her that Dr. Eggert was going to have to put some little prickly things in her legs but that it would help make her legs feel better. "OK mommy," she said.

After awhile, it was time. I put Faith up on the bed and forced her on her side. It was then she started crying and asked to be turned back over. Dr. Eggert and Danielle applied some cold spray to a spot on her leg to numb it even more. Faith didn't like this at all and really began wailing. "Help me, help me, mommy," she cried. That's when I almost started crying too. I was her mom. I was supposed to be the one protecting her from pain, it's really an awful feeling.

The whole thing lasted about 15 minutes. They had to do four different parts of her legs. And before each one they had to apply the cold spray. Toward the end, Faith actually let up from crying. She believed us when we told her it was almost over.

As soon as she was done, I rolled her over onto her back and she said, "I want to see daddy." I don't think she was too happy with me. Then while she was still crying, she said, "Thank you Danielle." I picked her up and gave her a big hug. After a few more little tears, she was already back to her normal, cheery self. She was happy not to get just one but two stickers for being so brave. Her dad was on his lunch break so he was able to rush over to see her and give her lots of hugs and kisses.

We should be seeing the results of the botox in five to seven days. Her muscles will be more relaxed and she should feel more comfortable. It's hard to get through the actual injections but the benefits are worth it. And if all goes well, we won't have to go through this again for another six months.


  1. Poor little Faith, what an ordeal she has to go through

  2. I know, I feel so bad for her sometimes for what she goes through. She is such a brave girl and I believe she inspires those around her.