Friday, January 29, 2010

To Send or Not to Send

As a mom, I have to make many decisions on a day to day basis. What to make for dinner, how to spend my free time, what to buy at the grocery store, what we need from Wal-Mart, etc. The list goes on and on. But one of the hardest decisions I have to make is whether or not to send Faith to school when she's not feeling 100%. Of course I'm not going to send her if she has a fever or if she's throwing up. But what if she just has a cold? Do I let her stay home and rest or do I send her to school anyway?

On Wednesday of this week I opted to keep her home. She hadn't slept well the night before and she was really mucousy and very tired. But I noticed throughout the morning she seemed to feel better and she was her usual happy self. Could she have gone to school I wondered? That night she didn't even act like she had a cold the way she was laughing and carrying on with her dad. I decided if she slept well that night I would send her to school in the morning.

Thursday morning Faith was sleeping so well I didn't want to wake her up. I decided to let her sleep and just go to school late. Well, shortly after making that decision she woke up but she wasn't a very happy camper. She kept saying she wanted to go back to bed but I knew she wouldn't go back to sleep so we began our morning routine. When I picked her up later that day, she seemed fine so I made the decision for her to go to hydro and physical therapy.

This morning was a whole other battle. Although she slept well she kept saying, or rather screaming, that she wanted to go back to bed. This was the crankiest I had ever seen her before school. Was I making the right decision? She seemed better though as we headed out the door and got loaded in Tina's van.

At school, however, she was less than thrilled to say goodbye to me. Should I have taken her to therapy yesterday, I wondered. Maybe it was too much for her. At that point all I could do was say a little prayer for her and be thankful that after school she had nothing going on and she could just stay home and rest.

Next week, the decision making will start all over again but hopefully her cold will be completely gone and I will be able to send her to school with a less heavy heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment